Easy Peasy Shakshouka
Shakshouka, an Arabic word that literally translates to “all mixed up” is not only fun to say but also a delicious and showstopping brunch dish that I adore.
Featuring soft poached eggs in a spiced and hearty tomato and pepper based sauce, I just love how easy and hearty this is.
This pairs super nicely with some thick cut sourdough, or toasted pita bread, and on top of that, I love the saltiness from the olives that balances out with the sweetness from the tomatoes.
If one day I had my own brunch cafe, this would absolutely be featured on the menu. I simply can’t get enough.
How to get the eggs right?
A common mistake that can be easily made when cooking shakshouka is overcooking the eggs are you let them poach in the pan. The key here is to remember that the eggs will continue to cook once you remove the pan from the heat.
So in order to prevent the residual heat from overcooking the eggs for a firm yolk centre, you can confidently turn off the heat when the egg whites are opaque and slightly jiggle when you shake the pan. That way, once you’re ready to eat, you should still get a soft gooey yolk that’s perfect for dipping.
That said, if you’re not a fan of soft eggs (who are you??) feel free to leave them cooking for a bit longer so they are perfect for your liking.
Other toppings to consider
You’ll probably have seen various recipes for shakshouka with slightly different list of ingredients. The great thing about this dish is just that – it can be easily adapted and is super versatile.
So if you don’t have everything listed below, feel free to improvise with other vegetables. I know one time I added courgettes in there as they were looking a little sad sat in the fridge.
Instead of olives as shown there, I also often see others sprinkle feta cheese crumbs over the top for additional flavour. This, as I tried last weekend, was delicious. So be free, and experiment with toppings that may tickle your fancy.
- 4 or 5 eggs depending
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Handful of chopped black olives
- Handful of coriander and or parsley
- Heat up a skillet or frying pan with a splash of oil, and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add in the peppers to the pan and cook until gently softened.
- Add in the spices, and salt and pepper to taste, and gently stir to mix well.
- Mix in the tin of chopped tomatoes and combine thoroughly, and add in some water to allow it to slowly simmer on a medium to low heat for around 10 mins.
- When everything is nicely soft, make a few dents in the veggies for your eggs to go. Cover with a lid and let them poach slowly in the pan.
- Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, take it off the heat and top with some black olives and fresh coriander.